Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Done in 20-25 minutes, this is made with more low fat, low sodium ingredients to make it healthier. From Shape magazine.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons dark seedless raisins
- 1 cup fat free sodium free chicken broth, such as Nature's Promise
- 1 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- sesame seeds (to garnish) (optional)
- Prepare instant brown rice according to package instructions.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium, coat with cooking spray and add chicken pieces. Cook until light brown, remove and set aside. Set aside frying pan (do not wash).
- Coat a microwave-safe bowl with nonstick cooking spray and add onion and garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until onions are soft. Puree onions and remaining ingredients (except bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder) in a blender to a thick paste, then pour into same frying pan. Heat on low-medium and add cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add chicken and stir, simmering 5 more minutes.
- To serve, divided rice evenly among 4 dinner plates and top with equal amount of chicken mole. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
This was edible, not very tasty though. I won't be making this again.