Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This is one of the many main dishes I ate growing up. It would either be beef steak or venison steak.
Top Review by rosie316
Made this for dinner tonight, along with a potato & onion dish. We really enjoyed this. Hubby has been hounding me for cube steaks, so I tried this. So very glad I did. I followed exactly, but I was tempted to add a splash of "Kitchen Bouquet" to the gravy for color & extra flavor, but I didn't. The real way to have this is with the light colored gravy. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Suitcase Gourmets / Culinary Quest 2014
- 4 (6 ounce) beef steaks, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups milk, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/2 C flour and 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp paprika on a plate.
- Stir with fork until well blended.
- Put 1/2 C milk in bowl.
- Dip steak in milk first, then coat generously with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet until it reaches 375°F.
- Add steaks to skillet.
- Cook until seared and well crusted on one side, about 2 minutes.
- Turn steaks with tongs, cook 2 more minutes for medium.
- Transfer steaks to a plate. Keep warm.
- To prepare gravy, pour off all but 4 T cooking oil from pan.
- Return pan to medium heat.
- Whisk in remaining 4 T flour; cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk; cook until thick, 3 minutes.
- Add more milk if gravy becomes too thick.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Serve with steak and mashed potatoes.