Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Always made with refried black beans, which is why I call them burritos. It just doesn’t taste right with just meat and veggies. I also like to serve this dish with spinach instead of crunchy lettuce, because it’s one of those things that you can easily sneak spinach into for the kids (as if they needed to grow any taller). There are much better recipes for fajitas out there that actually involve marinating or at least brining the chicken, which really does give it better flavor. This is the "quick and dirty" version. Credit for the taco seasoning recipe goes to http://workitmom.com/bloggers/orderingdisorder.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 4 tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried black beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup spinach, shredded
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- Cook chicken in a large skillet with oil. Remove cooked chicken; cover and keep warm.
- Add sliced veggies to pan and cook over high heat 10 minutes or until tender and blackened.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of fajita seasoning (recipe below), 1/4 cup water, and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat beans until hot and shred the cheese. Briefly warm the tortillas.
- Spoon beans, meat and veggies into tortillas and top with cheese, spinach and sour cream, or have people assemble themselves.
- Combine last 10 ingredients in a lidded container - I used an old spice jar - and use 3 tablespoons to equal 1 packet of fajita or taco seasoning.