Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Eating Well Magazine - This quick, easy version keeps the flavors the same, but skips the fussy layering and breading steps. I substituted the ham for smokey turkey breast, and it was great!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2.46 ml pepper, divided
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml gruyere, or, Swiss cheese
- 29.58 ml reduced-fat cream cheese
- 59.14 ml whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 19.71 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 59.14 ml ham, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 t pepper and salt. Combine cheeses in a bowl. And the remaining 1/4 t pepper, breadcrumbs, parsley and 2 t oil in another bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Move the chicken to the center so all pieces are touching. Spread with cheese mixture, sprinkle with ham, then top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is no longer pink and registers 165F internally, 5-7 minutes.
I thought this was terrific, TRUE! And probably complicated it a bit too! Cut chicken breasts in half vertically, then in smaller pieces horizontally, as THAT works for me! VERY easy as can be! Reminder to pound pieces in between baking paper too! So cooks in a pan evenly, TRUE! I then took from the pan, played on a tray lined with baking paper, as didn't want to put pan in oven with bit of oil in pan...a "thing" for me, But this came out great, love versatility! I also doubled cheese and ham as we like it yummy, And the feeling how it fits in our tummy! Would not suggest double crumb mixture as would be too much...at least for me, DEFINATELY a keeper, and a smile on my face today you see! :) THANKS! UPDATED NOTE: Drizzled top of crumbs with olive oil, TRUE! So topping won't dry out even though oil was in mixture too! Hope this is a helpful hint from me to you! Look forward who next does review!