1/2 Photos of Quick Chicken Casssoulet
1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy to assemble recipe that makes enough hearty cassoulet to feed a crowd -- or to freeze half. It came from a grocery store website that credits "Christmas 101" by Rick Rodgers. Use turkey italian sausage to keep it lean. I save a step by using seasoned breadcrumbs and eliminating the parsley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, well-trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 lbs italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2In very large skillet or Dutch oven, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. In batches without crowding, cook chicken thigh pieces, turning, until browned lightly on all sides, about 15 minutes total.
- 3Sprinkle chicken with Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- 4Add wine; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits on the bottom of pan with a wooden spoon.
- 5Add tomatoes with their juices, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
- 6In another large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up pieces with side of large spoon, about 8 minutes. Add onions, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 6 minutes.
- 7Stir into chicken mixture, along with beans.
- 8In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over top of cassoulet.
- 9Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Using large spoon, gently press the thin crust that has formed on the cassoulet just under the surface.
- 10Return to oven and continue baking until cassoulet is simmering and another crust has formed, about 30 minutes.
- 11Let stand 15 minutes before serving hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Chicken Casssoulet
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.6
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 134.7 mg
- Sodium 1222.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 45.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian herb seasoning