Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
This easy shrimp-and-chicken entree is coated in a silky coconut-milk sauce. Buy the cooked chicken at the supermarket deli or roast your own. This is from a 2005 Chatelaine, a Canadian magazine. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 4 teaspoons hot indian curry paste
- 12 ounces frozen peeled shrimp (optional)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 deli chicken
- 3 whole roasted red peppers, sliced into thick pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, chopped (I sub parsley)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lime
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and curry paste. Stir frequently until onions soften, 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place shrimp in a sieve. Rinse under cold running water until any ice crystals melt. Once onions are softened, stir in coconut milk and honey. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard skin from chicken, then pull off meat and tear or cut into bite-size chunks. Slice peppers into thick pieces. Coarsely chop cilantro. Stir shrimp, chicken, peppers and peas into coconut-milk mixture.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are hot, 3 to 5 minutes. If using uncooked shrimp, cook until pink, about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coriander. Slice lime into wedges and serve alongside curry. Great with jasmine rice.
- Make Ahead:.
- Prepare recipe to end of step 1. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 1 month. Defrost then bring to a simmer. Continue with recipe as written.
Yummers! I had to stray from the recipe a little bit. I didn't realize until the last minute that my jar of roasted red peppers was bad. :sad: So.... I sauteed a yellow bell pepper with the onions to sub for that. I used a red curry paste and basmati rice. This was yummy and I really think that the red pepper would have put this over the top. Thanks Nif for yet another keeper. Made for ZWT8 - India.