Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve with mash or rice to sop up the tasty sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, but skins on
- 8 chicken thighs
- 10 1⁄2 ounces carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 ounce parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and add the garlic. Cook over a gentle heat for about 2 minutes until the cloves begin to soften. Remove and set aside.
- Increase the heat and add the chicken to the pan (in 2 batches if necessary). Cook until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate with the garlic. Add the carrots and leek to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, then return the chicken and garlic to the pan with the sherry and bay leaves.
- Boil down for 1 minute until the alcohol evaporates. Now add 10 tbs water, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, then season.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.