Inspiring Idea To make his tamales, Guillermo Pernot of Cuba Libre in Philadelphia mashes masa dough and a slow-braised pork filling together in a saucepan instead of assembling the tamales one by one. He also steams the tamales in aluminum foil instead of the traditional corn husks Quick Take Grace Parisi mixes store-bought rotisserie chicken and cheddar cheese into a quick dough, then she wraps the tamales in plastic before steaming them. F&W Magazine, July 2008 edition. From "Chef Tips For Speedy Dishes, Delicious Summer Recipes on the Cheap. Pairing of the day: July 2008"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups cool water
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, softened (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken (from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- hot sauce, for serving
- 1In a food processor, pulse the masa harina with the baking powder and salt.
- 2Add the water and pulse to moisten the masa harina.
- 3Add the vegetable shortening in clumps and drizzle with the chicken stock.
- 4Process until smooth and evenly blended, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally.
- 5Transfer the dough to a large bowl and stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and scallions.
- 6Tear twelve 12-inch-square sheets of plastic wrap.
- 7Working with 6 at a time, spoon a scant 1/2 cup of the tamale mixture onto the center of each sheet.
- 8With lightly moistened hands, press the tamales into 4-by-2-inch rectangles, about 1/2 inch thick.
- 9Fold up the squares of plastic around the tamales, twist the ends securely and then fold them under to make packets.
- 10Repeat to form the remaining tamales.
- 11Arrange the tamales seam side down in the bottom of a large bamboo (or other) steamer.
- 12Steam over 2 inches of boiling water for 25 minutes.
- 13Let the tamales cool slightly, then carefully transfer them to a large platter:
- 14Cut the ends of the plastic-wrapped packets and slide the tamales out onto the platter.
- 15Serve the tamales with hot sauce and a Juicy, cherry-rich Merlot: 2005 Covey Run Columbia Valley.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Chicken-And-Cheese Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.3
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 574.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: