Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Cooking Light recipe I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I might thicken it a bit when I prepare it, and probably add some fresh parsley because I always have it on hand.
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley, uncooked
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring barley and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- While barley cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high. Add onion, and saute 3 minutes. Add mixed veggies and cook 2 minutes. Add veggie mixture, chicken, salt, pepper and thyme to barley mixture, simmer 5 minutes.
This was super easy and tasted better than I expected. I"m sure you could get creative with it and add different spices or other things into the mix, but for something so quick and not too bad for you, it turned out really well.