Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
I found this recipe in the Betty Crocker "Good and Easy" cookbook and it's become a family favorite. The almond and cherry combination is wonderful. It's such a fast recipe, using ingredients that are easily kept on hand. UPDATE 2/16/09: Thanks to several reviews pointing out that the recipe needs to be served a la mode, I am modifying the original recipe to the way I've been making it myself for years now. I've always had ice cream in step 8 as a serving option (have now added it to the ingredient list) & I've always used a full teaspoon of almond extract in the mix because we prefer the stronger flavor. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to review. *Tink
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (I use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- vanilla ice cream, optional for serving (or whipped cream)
- Mix pie filling & almond extract in ungreased 8x8x2" square baking dish.
- Place in COLD oven.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix Bisquick, 1 Tbl sugar, milk & butter with fork until a soft dough forms.
- Drop SIX spoonfuls onto warm filling. It's not meant to be a top crust, just 6 individual biscuits with filling showing inbetween.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
FANTASTIC and couldn't be any easier; I got rave reviews on it tonight. I served it with Baskin Robbins french vanilla ice cream on top...yummy. It was so simple and quick I nearly felt guilty getting complimented on it! The other great thing is that you always have the ingredients on hand, so you can just throw it together in a snap. Thanks for the post. Its a keeper. :)
I think this just might be the perfect "emergency" dessert! It's very easy to prepare, very tasty, and cooks up quickly. If you suddenly need a dessert and don't want to fall back on ice cream, just keep pie filling and Bisquick on hand and you'll always be able to make this! I used blueberry pie filling instead of cherry (it's what I had on hand) and, instead of starting in a cold oven, I preheated the oven and warmed the filling in a glass baking dish in the microwave. Thanks for the recipe; it's a keeper!
YES...this is fast and easy..Hubby likes it he loves cherries...I will try apple next time. Nothing to change. Thank You