Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
This is a great dish to bring to a bake sale or just to whip up for brunch. It is so simple and I always have the ingredients on hand. I can't remember where I got the recipe, but it's always been a favorite.
- 2 1⁄3 cups buttermilk baking mix, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling, drained
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees; grease 8-inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl, stir 2 cups baking mix, granulated sugar, milk and egg just until blended; do NOT overmix.
- Gently fold drained pie filling into mixture; spoon into prepared pan.
- In small bowl combine remaining 1/3 cup baking mix, brown sugar and almond extract.
- Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture forms large crumbs.
- Sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Bake 35 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, cut into 2 1/2-inch squares.