Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The centre of these look like little spirals. You can use a packet of sweet short crust pastry, but I think that a home made one is tastier.
- 8 ounces cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces butter or 3 ounces margarine
- 2 ounces sugar
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces milk
- 1⁄2 ounce melted margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 ounces mixed fruit
- 1 ounce sugar
- Preheat oven to Gas5/380F degrees.
- Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Sieve together the flour and salt.
- Add fat, rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and add milk gradually until you have a light soft dough.
- Roll out into an oblong 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush with melted margarine.
- Sprinkle with the mixed fruit, sugar and spice.
- Roll up so that you have a long roll.
- Cut off 14 even sized rolls.
- Place cut side down on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Very nice! but I felt it needed a little more mixed spice, and being egg and yeast free means myself (no eggs or yeast) and my daughter (no yeast) are able to enjoy them with the rest of the family. As a variation, I substituted the mixed fruit with 2 oz of sultanas and 1 oz each of finely chopped dried apricots and dried pears, again very nice!