Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy, quick way, to enjoy Cheese Bread, with waiting for the "Rising" method.I have added chopped walnuts to this, and it is "extra special", then.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted shortening
- Mix and Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- Beat eggs and add milk and shortening to eggs!
- Add this liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring JUST ENOUGH to blend them together.
- DO NOT OVER-MIX!
- Pour into a"well-greased" 9x5-inch bread pan.
- Bake at 350*F.
- for 45-60 minutes.
I wasn't crazy about this one. I had read some of the other reviews, and decreased the salt to 1/2 tsp., but I still found it to be too salty. I guess it depends on the cheese. The bread had a very heavy, cake-like texture. It was super easy to make, though.
This bread is wonderful! Although, next time I prepare it, I am going to cut down on the salt. The cheese I used was aged cheddar and I found the bread a wee bit too salty for my liking. But otherwise an excellent recipe!
I use 1 1/2c of grated cheese instead of 1c. I should've put a pinch of salt instead because they turned out too salty. Made them in muffins,produce 8 domed ones. Bake at 350 for 20min, tent with foil on the last 10min to prevent browning