Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from a very old Women's Weekly Menu Planner - great served with soup !
Make and share this Quick Cheese and Chive Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 60 g butter
- 125 g tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Sift flour and garlic salt into bowl.
- Rub in butter till looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add cheese and chives.
- Stir in enough milk and water to make a sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead till smooth.
- Shape into 4 portions in a bread roll shape.
- Cut 3 slits across top.
- Place on greased oven tray.
- Brush top of rolls with egg yolk.
- Cook at 190 degrees celsius /375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes till lightly browned and cooked through.
Yum, Kate! I saw JoyfulCook's review and photo, and I felt compelled to make this right away! I had just made some homemade French Onion soup, and this went perfectly with it! The only changes I made were this: I used the "Dough" button of my bread machine, to mix until the butter was crumbly, I stopped it, put in the rest of the ingredients, and let it knead the dough until smooth, (5 min) and then turned out. After the eggwash, I added some sesame seeds atop. DELISH! Thanks, Kate!
Absolutely delicious. We had these for lunch and the flavour was lovely and the texture was great, thanks so much for posting this. I have already saved it
I prepared 25 small appetizers with the proposed amounts.
Specification of some ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour, I used 2 cups of flour and 7 grams of instant yeast
125 g tasty cheese, I used grated parmesan
1 teaspoon garlic salt, I used 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
milk and water were lukewarm
I used kneading machine and the dought out very smooth and it was very easy to form the rolls.
I placed the roll in the oven (without heat but light on!) to rest and rise for 30 minutes prior baking them.
As they were small I placed some hot water in the oven during baking. After 20 minutes they very ready and golden.
My family liked them very much and I will use this as appetizer for guests as well.
Thanks a lot for this recipe.