Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just add clams for a quick change
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about one cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes (1/2 inch square pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (*)
- 1 cup half-and-half (whole milk may be substituted for the 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup half-and-half)
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (optional)
- milk (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan sauté celery in butter over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in flour until combined. Stir in broth, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add potatoes: return to boil, reduce heat: simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until tender. Slightly mash potatoes then stir in milk, half and half, and bacon. Heat throughly.
- If desired thin with additional milk.