Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A quick different way with carrots. You can use other herbs if you like in place of the basil. I have used both fresh garlic and crushed from a jar with little difference.
- Cook carrots in boiling water for for 2 -3 mins until tender but crisp or microwave if desired.
- Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of liquid.
- Combine the garlic and oil in a nonstick pan and cook over a moderate heat until fragrant (you can smell the garlic).
- Add the carrots and stirring, cook until well combined and hot, adding a little of the reserved cooking liquid if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Serve hot.
The DM, DS and I thoroughly enjoyed the carrots done this way, I used the first of our garlic from the garden and sweet basil from the herb garden and it really freshened up the carrots which I cooked in the steamer and cooked as directed. Thank you Jen T, made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #54 July 2011.
I used baby carrots, and wish I had gone ahead and sliced them up....I think they would have absorbed more of the garlic flavor if I'd done that. The fresh basil is wonderful with these! This was quick and easy, and has the additional benefit of being low cal! Thanks for sharing.
I thought the garlic overwhelmed the flavour of the carrots and would probably use less garlic next time or omit it all together. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap #40