Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family LOVES this recipe, even though it's a "diet" recipe.
- 14 ounces low-fat smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Throw all of this into a Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until it smells so good you can't stand it! (At least one hour.).
- Serve over hot cooked rice. I prefer medium grain rice for texture.
This was pretty good but a little too soupy so I would use less broth next time. Thanks!!
This is one of the best beans & rice recipes I've tried! I made just a few small changes: cut it in half; omitted the onion but poured the whole mixture into a pan I sauteed a garlic clove in w/ olive oil, and added about 2 1/2 tablespoons of louisiana hot sauce. I like spicy :-D I put it with Minute Rice so it was super easy. This IS a keeper! Thanks for sharing it.
WOW!! What a fantastic blend of flavors! I cut this in half since it was just for 2 of us, but now wish we had some leftovers for another meal. It isn't the prettiest dish, but it certainly makes up for it with the taste. I served it over a wild/brown rice blend and used turkey sausage. MERP'd for My 3 Chefs. Excellent! Thanks for sharing JimnLyss.