Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a 9-inch-square microwave-safe baking dish combine the cabbage, the carrot, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 4 cups water, cover the mixture with microwave-safe plastic wrap, leaving one corner uncovered, and microwave it at high power (100%) for 5 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and transfer them to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the vegetables, pat them dry between several thicknesses of paper towels, and transfer them to a bowl. In a small bowl stir together the vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the sugar until the sugar is dissolved, pour the liquid over the vegetables, and chill the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Serve the pickled vegetables with fried chicken or grilled meats.