Recipe by CHRISSYG
From Cooks Illustrated Magazine. I haven't made this yet but it looked fabulous and I don't want to lose the recipe. Work and prep times do not include hour brining.
Top Review by IngridH
These were good, but we thought the flavors were a little out of balance. The cardamom was really strong, and overpowered the other spices. I loved how juicy the chops were, brining really helps keep lean pork from drying out on the grill. Thanks for posting!
- 3 quarts water
- 3⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 bone in pork loin chops or 4 bone in center-cut pork chops (about 3 lbs total)
Spice rub makes 1/4 cup of spice rub
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind fennel in a spice grinder.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except sugar.
- Place in a cold sauté pan.
- Turn heat to medium and heat/toast spices just until fragrant.
- DO NOT BURN.
- Remove from pan allow to cool to room temperature and add the sugar.
- Set aside.
- (can be made in advance and stored, tightly covered) Dissolve salt and sugar in COLD water.
- Pour into a two gallon zip lock type bag and add the chops.
- (Or divide evenly between smaller bags) Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing.
- Refrigerate for about an hour, turning occasionally.
- Remove chops from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Coat with spice mixture and massage into the meat.
- Allow to sit with rub while preparing the grill.
- Prepare Grill to very hot.
- (Gas grill pre-heat 10-15 minutes) if using a gas grill turn off one burner, if using charcoal, move coals to one side of the grill.
- Place chops on the very hot side of the grill, cover and cook until browned on each side (approx 3-4 min per side) then move over to the cooler side of the grill to continue cooking.
- Turning once until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees (approx 7-9 minutes longer) remove from heat and allow to rest at least 5 minutes.
- (Internal temp will rise to about 145 degrees) Serve.