Recipe by weekend cooker
when making these sandwiches, use regular bread slices, not thin slices.
Top Review by Margie99
We really liked the flavors of this. After it sat for several minutes the texture was much better. I had made it about 2 o'clock yesterday in anticipation of having it for dinner that night. We ended up having tonight. Having said this I am not sure if that is why I had to cook it so long to get the center to set.
- 8 slices white bread
- softened margarine, for the bread
- 2 cups finely chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim crusts off bread slices, and spread margarine on 1 side of each bread slice.
- Place 4 slices in a buttered 8-inch square baking pan.
- Top bread slices with chopped ham, and top with remaining bread slices., buttered side up.
- Sprinkle with shredded swiss cheese.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, onion flakes, prepared mustard, and salt and mix well. Slowly pour over over bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for 8 hours.
- Remove baking pan from refrigerator about 10 minutes before cooking.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until center is set.
- To serve cut into 4 sandwiches.