Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
when making these sandwiches, use regular bread slices, not thin slices.
- 8 slices white bread
- softened margarine, for the bread
- 2 cups finely chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Trim crusts off bread slices, and spread margarine on 1 side of each bread slice.
- Place 4 slices in a buttered 8-inch square baking pan.
- Top bread slices with chopped ham, and top with remaining bread slices., buttered side up.
- Sprinkle with shredded swiss cheese.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, onion flakes, prepared mustard, and salt and mix well. Slowly pour over over bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for 8 hours.
- Remove baking pan from refrigerator about 10 minutes before cooking.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until center is set.
- To serve cut into 4 sandwiches.
We really liked the flavors of this. After it sat for several minutes the texture was much better. I had made it about 2 o'clock yesterday in anticipation of having it for dinner that night. We ended up having tonight. Having said this I am not sure if that is why I had to cook it so long to get the center to set.
Great breakfast sandwiches!! I cut this back to serve two and probably cooked it almost twice as long as directed. This is nice and filling and was served with some fresh fruit for a yummy breakfast. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Stars Tag.
This is a great little idea and tasty at that. It does need to be left overnight Dh decided to whip this up the morning of and the eggs didn't quite set up and we had to cook it quite a bit longer. We will try this again and let it set overnight. We really liked this.