Prep 2 mins
Cook 1 min
Easily prepped the night before and reheated for 1 minute in the microwave the next morning, this is a perfect, healthy breakfast for anyone.
- 2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (Light or dark, your preference, You may also use honey, molasses, or maple syrup)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup fruit (I use raisins or dried cranberries)
- In a 8 oz container (e.g. an empty cool whip container works great), combine the water and dry milk until fully incorporated. Or, substitute 2 cups of milk.
- Add the cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, and fruit. Stir to combine. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight, or use immediately.
- When ready to use, microwave for 1 minute.
- Substitute other fruits according to your taste. I have used other dried fruits, or you could use a peeled, diced baking apple.
I was so excited to find this recipe. I love oatmeal and am always looking for quick ways to prep it that will fit in my morning routine. I've never had luck microwaving it, and was hoping an overnight soak would improve the texture. It did improve the texture, but still not as good as stovetop. Also, the cooktime was badly off. I made half a recipe adn had to cook it about 2.5 minutes on high. Still, the odor and flavor were very good, so when i'm going to have a really rushed morning, I'll still revisit this recipe.