Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This quick bread pizza is one of my favourites. It’s great for kids as they don’t have to wait for the crust to rise! You can use a plain or spicy tomato sauce on this, but I love the taste and texture of fresh tomatoes.
FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
- 4 large tomatoes, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2⁄3 cups low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, pepper and salt. Reserve.
- FOR THE CRUST: Combine flours with cornmeal, sugar, rosemary, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir together well. Combine yogurt with oil. Pour over dry ingredients and knead dough lightly into ball. Brush 15 x 10-inch baking dish lightly with oil. Press dough evenly into pan.
- Sprinkle half of mozzarella over dough. Drain tomato mixture and spread over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pizza is puffed and cheese is lightly browned. Cut into squares.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Bonnie Stern Simply HeartSmart Cooking.