Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Cook's Country
- 1 lb kirby cucumber, sliced crosswise in 1/8 inch disks
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Toss cukes, onion, and salt in colander set over bowl. Let stand 1 hour. Discard drained liquid.
- Bring vinegar, sugar and spices to a boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat to low add cukes and onion and press to submerge in liquid. cover and cook until cukes turn a dullish olive-brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer entire pan contents to glass bowl. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 2 hours before serving. (pickles can be refrigerated in covered container for up to.
- 2 weeks).
- Time does not include 1 hour setting and chilling time.
- I made these this week end -- not bad! I added a fresh sliced jalapeno -- just enough spice -- made them interesting.
- I also used Splenda in place of the sugar.