From In the Kitchen with a Good Appetitie. Feel free to substitute a large preserved lemon and skip the blanching step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lemon, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 lbs chicken legs, and thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 1/2 cup green olives, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons dried currants (optional) or 3 tablespoons diced dried apricots (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1Thinly slice lemon crosswise into rounds. Cut rounds into quarters. Place lemon in a small saucepan with water just to cover and stir in 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well and rinse lemon under cold water.
- 2Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet or over medium high heat. Dry the chicken pieces and season them with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and the pepper. Place them in the skillet in batches and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- 3If skillet looks dry add the remaining tablespoon oil. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until slightly softened. Add the ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric and cayenne pepper and stir together. Cook 1 minute longer.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat with the spice mixture. Pour the chicken stock into the skillet so that 2/3 of the chicken is submerged. Add the saffron and stir to combine. Bring liquid to a simmer, cover the skillet and simmer on medium low heat 20-25 minutes.
- 5Add the olives, lemon slices, and dried fruit if using, stirring to combine. Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 6Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Raise heat to high and boil sauce, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and spoon sauce over chicken to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Braised Chicken With Moroccan Spices, Lemon, and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 832.3
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 286.2 mg
- Sodium 3106.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 66.4 g