Recipe by Velouria
I never really enjoyed eating cooked carrots until I found this recipe. It comes from a cookbook by Mark Bittman. I prefer making this with the butter and maple syrup. It makes a great combination.
Top Review by Acerast
Simple and very delicious. The maple syrup enhanced the natural sweetness of the carrots. So simple to prepare on a busy week night and quick but elegant for a side to a formal dinner. Thanks Velouria. (Have made this again with the sugar - it's that good and soooo simple!!)
- 453.59 g carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices or 453.59 g baby carrots
- 29.58 ml butter or 14.79 ml canola oil or 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml water
- 14.79 ml maple syrup or 4.92 ml sugar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 14.79-29.58 ml minced fresh parsley or 14.79-29.58 ml mint, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except the fresh parsley or mint in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring to a boil, and cover.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover saucepan and raise the heat a little.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and carrots are cooking in butter or oil.
- Lower the heat and keep cooking, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender (not mushy), a couple of minutes longer.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with the fresh parsley or mint and enjoy!