1/1 Photo of Quick Boston Baked Beans
From Australian Super Food Ideas May 2007. Low GI, great breakfast or brunch or light supper. They recommend to make a double batch and freeze for later use eg as jacket potato topping. 9th November 2008 UPDATE made this today and have made changes to timing and serving size, I have upped to 5 serves based on that I got 5 cups of 250ml, weighing 200gram each. I've increased the prep time but then my knife skills are slow especially on a day of pain. UPDATE June 2010 - To make vegetarian omit the bacon and if you want try other canned beans (though white light coloured ones work best) and herbs. You could use dried beans but you would need to cook these first which doesn't make the recipe quick but very cheap to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 slices bacon (rashers rindless, chopped)
- 1 small brown onion (brown small, finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (hot)
- 400 g diced tomatoes (canned diced)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (400 g) borlotti beans (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 4 English muffins (wholegrain recommended)
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (flat leaf leaves)
- 1Heat oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- 2Add bacon and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 3Add onion to frying pan, cook stirring for 3 minutes or until onion is tender and light golden, add garlic and paprika continue to cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 4Return bacon to frying pan and add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste and beans. Cook stirring often for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Split muffins and toast. Spread with butter.
- 7Place on serving plates and spoon baked beans over the muffins and sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Boston Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.4
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.3 mg
- Sodium 636.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 20.7 g