LUv 2 BaKE's Note:
Blini are thin buckwheat pancakes. Russian Blini are served with sour cream and caviar or smoked salmon. However, they also make a nice Hanukkah breakfast with some jam or pancake syrup on top. From the Jewish Holiday cookbook. The rising time is included in the cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet fast-rising active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1In a medium-sized bowl, combine the yeast, water, and honey; Let mixture rest for about 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- 2Stir in the flours, milk powder, sour cream, melted butter, and egg yolks; Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest for 30 minutes (It will not rise very much, but will form bubbles on the surface).
- 3In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with the salt just until they form stiff peaks; do not overbeat, or they may be difficult to fold; Gently, but thoroughly, fold the beaten whites into the batter.
- 4Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and lightly grease it; Spoon 1-1/2- to 2-tablespoon measures of the batter onto the preheated griddle; When bubbles have formed on the surface of the pancakes, and the bottoms are browned, turn them and cook just until lightly browned on the second side.
- 5Yield 30 2 1/2 to 3" blini.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Blini
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.0
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 32.2 mg
- Sodium 36.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.4 g