Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe makes up quick as a wink and is very moist. It's great sliced and toasted or served pipping hot with soups and salads. Enjoy.
- In large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Add sour cream and beer alternately; mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 2 quart round baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes;@ 350 degrees. Brush top with butter.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cake tester inserted completely into center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly. Serve warm, cool or toasted.
Loved this recipe, which I made for ZWT 5. I baked it in a large souffle dish and it took about the time the recipe called for. I also used low-fat sour cream and a dark beer. The batter was very thick so I used 2 cups of sour cream and it worked well. I served with the zesty "Cajun Sausage Chowder" and had a great meal! Note: when you don't have self rising flour, which I often don't, use "Self-Rising Flour" and make your own out of all purpose flour.
This is a good beer bread - I made it with low fat sour cream and made in mini loafs with bud beer. I will try a darker beer next time.
Made for dinner with cheese soup tonight, a great combo. A real great tasting bread. Especially loved the sour cream taste. I reduced the sugar to 4 tablespoons. A winner. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.