Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Two people really don't need a dining table cluttered with serving bowls but when I plate our meals, running back for seconds is annoying. My solution - see what sides I can combine to serve at the table and reduce my evening dish-washing. ;-) Any combination of _beans and greens_ works - I love it with canned turnip greens (which I tell DH is spinach since he's "greens picky" but can't really tell the difference in any of them)
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon crushed New Mexico red chili, seeds included
- 1 lb spinach leaves (or 1 10-ounce pkg. frozen frozen spinach, thawed and drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons vinegar, I prefer apple cider vinegar but use whatever you want
- Heat the fat in a large skillet and saute the onion and chile pepper until the onion is wilted.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until it wilts down.
- Stir in the beans and vinegar, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
I love beans and greens too :-) I used swiss chard and kidney beans, and halved the recipe which made two generous side dishes! I also used 1/2 tsp dried chilies instead of fresh but it was sooooo hot! I felt that one more flavor would have been nice, say just some chopped tomato or frozen corn. Still a good quick way to make greens!