Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A different version on baked beans. I like it because the sauce is not thick like most baked bean recipes. I use Van Kamps Pork and Beans. I tried it the first time in the 1970's and got it from the Texas Home Economics Teachers Cookbook.
- 3 slices bacon, fried until half done
- 16 ounces pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- Slice four slices from the bell pepper and dice the rest.
- Chop green onions.
- After cooking the bacon, remove and set aside.
- Mix beans, salt, mustard, soy sauce, ketchup, hot water, brown sugar, onions, and diced bell pepper.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place bacon strips and bell pepper slices on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until bacon is done.
Good for a college kid on a budget or soldier with limited rations, not a weekly thing for any other adult.