Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Not only is this delicious marinara quick, it's also low cal!Originally from the Houston Chronicle's food section from June 1989.
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vine-ripe tomatoes, diced or 1 (8 ounce) cansliced stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 pinch oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 lb linguine or 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, wine, bell pepper, basil and garlic, thyme and oregano.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Uncover tomato-sauce mixture; stir in shrimp and mushrooms.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring often, until sauce is thick and shrimp are cooked through (about 5 minutes, depending on size).
- Serve over hot, drained pasta.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve.