Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a dish I just threw together. It is quick and easy. Kind of a middle-eastern taste and quite healthy!
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 2 cups chicken broth
- seasoning salt
- Heat oil in saucepan over low-medium heat. Saute onion in oil.
- Add raisins, coconut and nuts. Let coconut and nuts toast a bit.
- Stir in Chicken broth and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add barley and cook 10-12 minutes or until it has absorbed almost all of the liquid.
Easy and very tasty. I made it even lower in fat by just using a bit of cooking spray instead of olive oil. This has just enough flavor to hold its own without overwhelming whatever you serve it with. I used regular barley, so of course it wasn't very quick, but it was very good. Thanks for posting.