Prep 6 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fast way to make a savory hot potato casserole. People often can't guess what the "sauce" is!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place hash browns in a microwaveable bowl, and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, till defrosted and soft.
- Stir in the mayo with a rubber spatula, till potato cubes are evenly coated.
- Add onions, cheese cubes and seasonings.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and add to potato mixture, stirring to distribute evenly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Turn mixture into a buttered casserole.
- Sprinkle liberally with paprika.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and top in golden.
- For faster prep, use 2 teaspoons of dried minced onion and 1/3 cup jarred bacon bits, instead of the fresh onion and cooked bacon.
This was good -- I love these potato casserole things. Used fresh bacon pieces (like you put on salad, already cooked, etc.), and frozen diced onion instead of fresh onion and regular bacon. maybe ended up with a bit more cheese, including a little sprinkled on top -- can never have enough!