Recipe by rsnelling42
We wanted baked beans with dinner and I could have sworn I had a can in the cabinet. Low and behold, I did not. I looked up a few recipes and threw these together based on what I had on hand. I'm sure you could cook them longer (heck, even bake them) to make them even better, but these worked out great...I don't think I'll buy them in a can again! *taste the sauce along the way - adjust the amounts of ingredients along the way to suit your taste.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut in matchsticks
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (or pinto)
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 -4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and bacon until bacon is crisp (10 min or so). Drain most of the fat (but not all).
- Add beans (not drained) and remaining ingredients. Bring to simmer, keep on heat at least 20 min, but much longer will be fine too. If it starts to get too thick, add water or stock.