Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mom gave me this easy soup recipe about a year ago. It requires very little time to prepare and is ideal if you don't know what to make for dinner and really don't feel like cooking. Can either be made on the stovetop or in a crock pot. Susbstitute regular meat hot dogs for vegetarian hot dogs if you wish.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 -4 tofu hot dogs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans, seasoned with onions, maple syrup and brown sugar (or similar canned beans)
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup green bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute the hot dogs slices in the oil. Brown about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the bell pepper.
- Bring to an almost boil reduce heat and stir in the diced green bell pepper.
- Fnally, reduce heat to simmer, cover the soup pot and cook on low for about 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve soup warm with dinner rolls to sop up the broth.
- Crock pot directions:.
- Saute the hot dogs in the oil then add them along with all the other ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on LOW for 4 hours.