Recipe by ellie_
Using cookies this is a fun dessert for kids to make on a no-school day. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1986)
Top Review by Kaarin
This is a delicious dessert! We used chocolate chip cookies and chocolate ice cream. I froze the cookies and ice cream for an hour and the meringue for 20 minutes. We baked it a little hotter the second time we made this (450 for 3 minutes) and it came out a lot firmer. We'll make this again-it may become a Father's Day tradition! Thanks~
- 4 mocha chip cookies (recipe#73347) or 4 other flat chocolate chip cookies
- 1 pint coffee ice cream (or substitute chocolate or vanilla ice cream)
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cookies on cookie sheet and then top each cookie with a large scoop of ice cream. Freeze at least 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and egg whites are shiny.
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip.
- Pipe meringue over cookies and ice cream, making sure cookie and ice cream is completely covered. Run a spatula around edges to make sure it is sealed. Freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately.