Recipe by SusieQusie
I've made this many times as a hurry-up side dish. When trying to figure out which region this recipe represented, I finally closed my eyes & picked one. Italian? Well, the word broccoli does come from the Italian "brocco" meaning arm branch so it kind of fits. Enjoy!
Top Review by Annacia
DH said that he would try this if I didn't put in the onion. Since the man does not, as a rule, eat salads I agreed. He actually like it! That alone is worth 5 stars. I used some cauliflower in this as I had it and thought that it would be nice, it was. It could have been a bit less sweet for me but DH thought it was perfect. It was really very good and very easy to make. Thanks for a great salad Susie. Made for 1-2-3 Tag.
- 8 -10 slices lean bacon (to lower fat use turkey bacon)
- 20 ounces fresh broccoli florets or 20 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1 carrots, grated or 1⁄2 cup matchstick carrot
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in microwave until crisp. (I've used pre-cooked & packaged bacon in a pinch).
- Cook broccoli in microwave until crisp tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, toss drained broccoli, carrot & onion.
- In a glass bowl or measuring cup, combine vinegar, sugar & oil. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes then pour over vegetable mixture. Toss to coat.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve arm or chilled (I prefer warm.).
- Crumble bacon over top when ready to serve.