Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted for ZWT6: NA*ME Region: Morocco. It is a staple in Morocco kitchens to preserve lemons. This is a quick and easy way to have the same effect without waiting up to 2 weeks to preserve lemons.
- 6 lemons (with thin skins)
- 6 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed, very important)
- Scrub the lemons and trim them at both ends. Cut the lemons lengthwise into sixths.
- Preheat oven to 200°F
- In a baking dish just large enough to hold the lemons, toss the lemons with the salt and place in one single layer.
- Pour enough of the lemon juice over them to just cover them.
- Bake covered, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours.
- Let the lemons cool and transfer them with their brine to an airtight container. Keep lemons covered and chilled indefinitely.
What a great idea. This works very well. My niece eats lemons like oranges. She absolutely loves the salty and tangy flavour of these.