Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium apples, peeled,cored and thinly slice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup cashew nuts
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter or margarine until particles are pea size.
- Combine eggyolk, milk and lemon juice.
- Stir into flour mixture until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Form into a ball and on a floured baking sheet, roll dough to 9x13x8 rectangle.
- Combine bread crumbs, nuts and 1 tbspof the melted butter.
- Sprinkle over surface of rolled dough.
- Drizzle apples with remaining butter and 2 tsp lemon juice.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, raisins and lemon peel, toss gently til mixed.
- Place apple mixture in the center of dough.
- Using a spatula to loosen dough from baking sheet, carefully fold one side of dough over filling just a little past center.
- Then fold the other side, slightly overlapping the first and seal well.
- Brush suface with a little of the beaten eggwhite.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Loosen from baking sheet with 2 pancake turners as strudel is VERY fragile.
- Allow to cool.