1/3 Photos of Quick and Simple No Bake Lemon Mousse
5 hrs 30 mins
5 hrs 30 mins
This was my mother's recipe. It's a perfect light and refreshing dessert with a lemony zing. Mom made it just the way it is for weeknight dinners, but I like to dress it up with raspberry sauce (frozen raspberries in syrup, pureed and strained) and some fresh raspberries. Looks great in parfait glasses or a glass or crystal bowl for a dinner party. Preparation time includes 5 hour chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Start with eggs at room temperature.
- 2Separate eggs, breaking yolks into the bowl of a nonreactive (i.e. stainless steel or ceramic) double boiler.
- 3Add sugar to the yolks and beat with an electric or immersion mixer until thick and pale.
- 4Grate the rind from one or both lemons and juice them both. Strain the juice.
- 5Add the rind and the 1/2 c, water to the sugar/yolk mix. More rind means more lemony flavor; I use it all but you may prefer less.
- 6Place the bowl over simmering water and cook, stirring very often, until the foam has mostly disappeared and the mix is thickened to a thin syrup. This takes a while and the foam disappearing is your best clue that it's done. Remove from heat.
- 7Mix the gelatin with 11/2 T. cold water and immediately add it to the mix, stirring until the gelatin completely dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- 8Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks in an electric mixer. Before you start make sure the bowl and whisk are perfectly clean as egg whites will not stiffen well if they touch even a trace of grease.
- 9Fold whites carefully into the sugar/yolk/gelatin mix. It can be hard to get all of the yolk mix folded in, so I flip the ingredients into another bowl so I can see and incorporate any remaining liquid.
- 10Place into the serving bowl or bowls of your choice. Refrigerate 5 hours or until serving time.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick and Simple No Bake Lemon Mousse
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 76.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 57.0 g
- Protein 8.1 g