Recipe by TommyGato
The distinct flavor of leeks makes a wonderful light soup. Even though I have Scotch ancestors, I've never made this using prunes. Its so good in its simple form, I just hate to tinker. (From an old Doubleday Cookbook.)
- 1 lb leek, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (use salt free if possible, otherwise omit the salt called for below)
- 1⁄2 cup diced cooked chicken meat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 4 -6 coarsely chopped pitted prunes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and chop the halves at 1/8 inch intervals.
- Include some of the green tops.
- Melt butter in saucepan and stir-fry leeks 2 or 3 minutes over moderate/low heat.
- Add other ingredients (except parsley) and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with parsley sprinkled on top.