The distinct flavor of leeks makes a wonderful light soup. Even though I have Scotch ancestors, I've never made this using prunes. Its so good in its simple form, I just hate to tinker. (From an old Doubleday Cookbook.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb leek, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (use salt free if possible, otherwise omit the salt called for below)
- 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 4 -6 coarsely chopped pitted prunes (optional)
- 1Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and chop the halves at 1/8 inch intervals.
- 2Include some of the green tops.
- 3Melt butter in saucepan and stir-fry leeks 2 or 3 minutes over moderate/low heat.
- 4Add other ingredients (except parsley) and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- 5Serve with parsley sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick and Light Cockaleekie Soup (Chicken and Leek)
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.9
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 1098.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: