Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my grandson's favorite enchiladas - and he doesn't even know that they are healthy! From Quick and Healthy Cooking.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- 20 ounces enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix first six ingredients and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 1/2 can of enchilada sauce in bottom of pan.
- Follow either method below for layered or rolled.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- ROLLED METHOD:.
- Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of filling on each tortilla and roll to enclose (cracks in tortillas are not as noticeable after cooking).
- Place seam side down in baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- LAYERED METHOD:.
- Follow this order; 1/3 of the tortillas, 1/2 of the filling, 1/3 tortillas, 1 can of sauce, remainder of filling, remainder of tortillas, remainder of sauce.
This made a relatively quick and easy dinner last night and we will be having leftovers for lunch today. Personally I don't see how I could possibly get all the cheese mixture into 12 tortillas. I did layer this, cutting the tortillas in fourths. I looked at all the cheese mixture and added in a couple of roasted and diced green chili for extra flavor. I used my homemade enchilada sauce which I warmed first. There was a layer of sauce, tortillas, cheese mixture, sauce times 2. These did require a little more sauce than called for. It cut well even straight from the oven.
I made the layered version since it's a little eaisier and made it w/o chicken. It came out lacking in flavor so I topped it with with some Green Taco Sauce which helped. Next time I'll change it more to my specific tastes like adding olives and something with a little spice to it. But I will certainly be making it again.
I love these so much that reading the recipe makes me hungry for them!!! They are so yummy!! The only thing I changed was no chicken and a little more sauce. YUMMMMMM