Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe can be eaten as a side dish, over rice, or as burrito filling. Trying to incorporate more fiber into my diet my husband came up with it. I adjusted some of the seasonings to my taste and the result has become a favorite in our house. As with all recipes, feel free to adjust seasonings to your taste. I think it tastes better the next day, but it doesn't last that long normally. By leaving out the chicken it would also be vegetarian.
- 1 (10 ounce) canned chicken, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (we like green jalapeno sauce)
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Add canned chicken, diced tomatoes with chilies, red kidney beans and jalapeno slices to pot.
- Add dry seasonings and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium/low, cover and simmer for ca. 10 minutes. (There should be enough liquid left from the canned tomatoes so it won't burn.).
- Remove cover and simmer for ca. 5 more minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.