Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Although it may sound unusual, chocolate is the secret ingredient of this Mexican-inspired dish. It adds a wonderfully rich, intense flavour to the vegetables. Best served with rice or a chunk of crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb sweet potato, cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, grated
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion, pepper, garlic and spices for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, chili sauce, and water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate and cook for an additional 5 minutes.