Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is so simple and tasty.
Make and share this Quick and Easy Tuna Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (185 g) can tuna in water or 1 (185 g) can mineral water, drained and flaked roughly
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes, until they're tender.
- When they're just cooked, drain and mash them.
- Then stir in the tuna and lemon juice then season to taste.
- Divide this into eight and shape into round fish cakes.
- Heat the oil in a large, non stick frying pan and fry the fish cakes on one side for three minutes.
- gently turn them over and fry the other side for a further two minutes.
- Serve two tuna cakes per person, ideally with some spring onion salsa.
Looking at the previous review, I made sure that the potatoes and tuna were well drained and added an egg and some gluten-free flour for binding. Coated in flour and refrigerated for 30 minutes before cooking to help the cakes set firm. I've made similar tuna cakes before and liked the addition of the lemon juice
This didn't work so well for me. The cakes tasted fine but they were really soft and hard to fry. I tried coating them in flour and that helped a little but the end result wasn't very pretty.
We liked this. It doesn't say what type of potatoes to use and other recipes that I found used sweet potatoes. It was pretty good. My son (who doesn't like tuna) liked it also. The only thing I would do differently is add a little spice to give it some kick. I did add some red onion finely chopped. It was fairly easy to make. I documented each step. I used my 3 tbs scoop to scoop out the mixture. Made the patties. Sprinkled with a little flour and cooked in my electric skillet. Other than adding the onion and some parsely and doubling the recipe. I did not find this difficult to work with at all. The kids even requested that they be made again...after they got over the shock of me using sweet potatoes as the potato mixture. I fried them in coconut oil due to being out of olive oil.