Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by my mom, who lives in a retirement community and this cake recipe was requested over and over again at potluck functions. I have one baking in the oven right now and it smells heavenly. Please see bottom for variations.
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling (21 ounce can)
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine cake mix, apple pie filling and eggs.
- Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon well.
- Pour half the cake batter into the sprayed pan.
- Sprinkle half the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the cake mixture.
- Pour remaining cake mixture into the pan, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- ***Original recipe also stated that you could switch spice cake mix with a yellow cake mix and Peach pie filling for the apple pie filling. It also said that there was no need for frosting, but a dollop of cool whip might be nice.
Because I did not have a spice cake mix, I made this with a yellow cake mix to which I added 1 tsp. cinnamon plus 1/2 tsp. each cloves and nutmeg. Otherwise I followed the recipe. It is very good, and the whole family enjoyed it.
I made this cake for my husband to take to his potluck at work. He brought me a piece back home. He thought it deserved 3 stars because it wasn't a yellow or chocolate cake. I thought much higher of this little gem! It was so easy to put together and tasted so moist and yummy! I may have needed to bake longer, because the center was really gooey and caved in. That was my favorite part, but it didn't look pretty that way. I will make this again. It tastes too good not to try it again.
Absolutely sinful!! If I had let them, the kids would have eaten the entire pan. So quick and easy to make, I'll be making this one on a regular basis.