Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
What makes this dish stand out is the tomato-basil sauce, ground beef and bacon, and heavy cream to create a rich hearty meal, your family will think you spent all day in the kitchen lol! This complete recipe takes no more than about 35 minutes, but of coarse if you wish you can cook it longer before adding in the whipping cream at the end. You can use your own favorite pasta sauce for this if desired. If you don't have a large enough skillet the use a medium saucepan.
- 7 slices finely chopped bacon, uncooked
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 (25 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 (16 ounce) package linguine, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp; add in fresh mushrooms and cook about 3-4 minutes longer stirring occasionally.
- Add in wine and cook stirring up browned bits and cooking until the wine is almost evaporated.
- Place the gound beef into the same skillet along with onion, garlic and dried chili flakes; cook until the beef is well browned, breaking up the meat into small pieces.
- Add in the pasta sauce and whipping cream; cook until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked pasta in the serving dish and top with sauce then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
This recipe worked great. Normally I don't have whipping cream on hand but had some leftover from a cake recipe that I wanted to use up. I also needed something quick & this fit the bill for that also. My pasta sauce didn't have basil so I should have added some dried basil (next time). I find chili flakes are quite spicy & tickle my throat so I only used the lesser quantity... however, we like alittle heat so I added a few dashes of our favorite hot sauce. We increased the beef abit & next time I may increase the mushrooms also. Great & tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.
I just made this for dinner tonight and it is going into my favorite recipes file! This is about the best Bolognese I have tasted outside a restaurant. There are loads of flavor here and just a bit of heat. All-in-all a very good meal.
I made mine with Penne pasta, but that's personal choice. This Bolognese would be good with any pasta.