Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Version of an easy Macaroni and Cheese dish. You can do this varried however you like really, this is really made to my tastes, but it would be easy to change spices/ammounts/etc :)
- 1 (12 ounce) box Velveeta shells and cheese dinner (I use Velveeta 2% variety to keep it lighter. Do not use the powdered mac and cheese)
- 3 tablespoons onions, diced
- 3 slices bacon, diced small
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or seasoning blend of your choice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (I use more but i like things garlicy )
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook Macaroni in boiling water according to directions on the box.
- Meanwhile, brown the hamburger, onion, and bacon in a skillet until everything is nicely browned and cooked through.
- Add the packet of cheese from the Macaroni box, seasonings, ketchup, and butter to the hamburger, and simmer over low heat, stirring often.
- When macaroni is done, drain and add to the hamburger and cheese mixture, stiring until evenly coated and heated through.
- Serve and Enjoy! You could also try adding some veggies in if you like, but I usually serve them on the side.
Very yummy! The nice thing is that - unlike a hamburger helper type dish, which this resembles - you control the stuff that goes into it. I did some changes: used about double the onion, added 1 stalk of chopped celery, double garlic powder, subbed 1 heaping T. real bacon bits, skipped the butter. for PAC spring 2010
We really liked this! Sometimes for a quick meal I mix ground beef with the blue box mac and cheese, but Velveeta Shells and Cheese is DHs favorite so he has already requested this again! Made for 2012 Spring PAC.
This was so good that even my 3.5year old daughter ate seconds! Thanks for sharing!