Recipe by chilis n' peppers
Simple to make, delicious salsa. Has been very popular everywhere I have served it. You can use fresh tomatoes if you have a garden or farmers market you use, other than that, the best consistency is with canned.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspremium diced tomatoes
- 1 serrano chili
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄3 medium lemon, juice of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 large sweet onions or 1⁄2 large red onion
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Open cans of tomatoes and drain most of the liquid.
- Put tomatoes in food processor or large blender.
- Add salt, cumin, coriander, lemon juice, pepper flakes.
- Cut stem off Serrano and add to ingredients in processor/blender.
- Rough chop the peeled onion and add to processor/blender.
- Cut off stem of Jalapeno and cut in half.
- Using spoon, scrape out seeds and white membrane.
- Discard seeds and membrane. DO NOT rub your eyes after this step!
- Add two halves of Jalapeno to processor/blender.
- Cut off most of the stems from a bunch of fresh cilantro and put bunch in processor/blender.
- Process or blend to desired consistency. We like ours blended relatively smooth.
- You can adjust the heat up by either adding the Jalapeno without removing seeds and membrane or tossing in another small Serrano. Keep in mind Serrano's are up a bit on the heat scale from Jalapenos, but have incredible flavor.